Saying Hello!

TTI is known for its intellectuals. This is a place for thinkers to gather and exchange quotes, thoughts, or other topics that might not appeal to the average gamer.
Torazelan

Saying Hello!

Post by Torazelan »

I'm fairly new to Eve, happened across this corp in the recruitment channel and it looked like a good fit for me.

If you happen to bother to read this, I'd like to pose a question to you.

You're part of a medieval line of infantry with pikes standing against a charging line of heavy cavalry. If you all stand and hold the line against the cavalry you'll likely break the charge. If some of the infantry flee the line will likely break and you'll be killed.

What is the rational thing for you to do?
redhotrebel

Re: Saying Hello!

Post by redhotrebel »

Torazelan wrote:I'm fairly new to Eve, happened across this corp in the recruitment channel and it looked like a good fit for me.

If you happen to bother to read this, I'd like to pose a question to you.

You're part of a medieval line of infantry with pikes standing against a charging line of heavy cavalry. If you all stand and hold the line against the cavalry you'll likely break the charge. If some of the infantry flee the line will likely break and you'll be killed.

What is the rational thing for you to do?
Welcome to the forums and as far as your question goes you're leaving out an important part of the whatif game- what are "we" standing for? This drastically changes the answer. Although, I still probably wouldn't answer because "whatif" questions tend to become moving goal post fallacies or false dichotomies. And there's no prize for playing ;)
"If you pay people not to work and tax them when they do, don't be surprised if you get unemployment." ~ Milton Friedman
Torazelan

Post by Torazelan »

redhotrebel wrote: Welcome to the forums and as far as your question goes you're leaving out an important part of the whatif game- what are "we" standing for? This drastically changes the answer. Although, I still probably wouldn't answer because "whatif" questions tend to become moving goal post fallacies or false dichotomies. And there's no prize for playing ;)
Ohhh details... fine :) Let's say you're standing in front of a gold bar weighing 132.38 kilograms.

And let's add in...
Case 1:
You're in the line with a bunch of people randomly picked from the village
Case 2:
You're in the line with members of your corporation

If you need more details than that.. well.. I'll not hold it against you if you don't feel like answering.

Do try to keep your responses brief though, I'd hate to go over that 1 page mark ;)
redhotrebel

Post by redhotrebel »

Torazelan wrote:Ohhh details... fine :) Let's say you're standing in front of a gold bar weighing 132.38 kilograms.
Who does the gold belong to?
"If you pay people not to work and tax them when they do, don't be surprised if you get unemployment." ~ Milton Friedman
musashi

Post by musashi »

Torazelan wrote:You're part of a medieval line of infantry with pikes standing against a charging line of heavy cavalry. If you all stand and hold the line against the cavalry you'll likely break the charge. If some of the infantry flee the line will likely break and you'll be killed.
Well you are already in line aren't you? Ideally you’d like to consider & answer this question before you get in the line… :roll:

Once you are there, I’d say trust in your own pike. Your survival (in the initial charge at least) is more dependant on you taking out that horse in front of you, than on the entire line holding.

And as far as cutting & running, I think you have better odds standing your ground with fixed weapons than attempting to out run a horse.
Keep your sharpened steel sword, this wooden one will be all I need!
Torrstar

Post by Torrstar »

I'm standing on the hill with the officers watching the battle from a distance.....
Kushan

Post by Kushan »

I would run, then be run down by the horsemen and killed, and/or tried for treason and hanged.
Xul Daethreen

Post by Xul Daethreen »

See, this is all very simple. I wait for Kushan to run, then stab him in the leg. I toss the dagger aside, claim we have a traitor, point to a random person I do not know/like, and then carry Kushan away from the battlefield claiming to be staunching the blood flow of a lethal wound. Say a few inspirational words on the way out, of course. Besides, until the cavalry crush the pike regiment, they won't worry about stragglers immediately. Important target vs. momentary non-combatant. I'll be safely in the trees by the time the mounted soldiers start looking for individuals.

Welcome to the forums, good luck on the application.
redhotrebel

Post by redhotrebel »

Xul Daethreen wrote:See, this is all very simple. I wait for Kushan to run, then stab him in the leg. I toss the dagger aside, claim we have a traitor, point to a random person I do not know/like, and then carry Kushan away from the battlefield claiming to be staunching the blood flow of a lethal wound. Say a few inspirational words on the way out, of course. Besides, until the cavalry crush the pike regiment, they won't worry about stragglers immediately. Important target vs. momentary non-combatant. I'll be safely in the trees by the time the mounted soldiers start looking for individuals.

Welcome to the forums, good luck on the application.
There's a flaw here- the only way for two people to keep a secret is if one of them is dead- you're going to have to finish Kushan off just in case your side wins. Sorry Kush, you're gonna get killed after getting stabbed in the leg by the new guy, that sucks :( .
Xul Daethreen

Post by Xul Daethreen »

Leverage. Kushan was going to run anyways, I just gave him a way out without having to get run down/killed for treason/cowardice. Attempting to betray me would most likely end badly for him as well. Plus, I think he'd rather have that nice acceptable stabbed by a traitor excuse than being hanged for running from battle.