Atlas Shrugged... The Movie

TTI is known for its intellectuals. This is a place for thinkers to gather and exchange quotes, thoughts, or other topics that might not appeal to the average gamer.
Atapine

Atlas Shrugged... The Movie

Post by Atapine »

Sylvia Lafayette
Taggart Employee

Re: Atlas Shrugged... The Movie

Post by Sylvia Lafayette »

:mrgreen: about time!
Piye Shu

Post by Piye Shu »

That's been floating around IMDB for a few years now; though the cast keeps changing. Looks like this time it might actually happen, seeing as there's finally a picture. :D
musashi

Post by musashi »

Cool link!

But I don't see much smoke in it, and no fire. The project is announced and in “talks”. Heck it has been at those two stages since the fist Thunderdbird rolled off the production line.

The only substance I read is the Baldwin Entertainment Group. Not sure how much credit they get for associated production on Sahara. The only other movies on their list I’ve seen are Ray and Danny Deck Chair (I liked them both). Maybe this project goes, but it is still a very long way from a green light. And then they have to figure out how to distribute it – it is not a Big Screen-type story.

Maybe I see dead people, or black helicopters, but to me the vast majority of the Hollywood elite know the story. And I think some of these folks would rather play in Macbeth, than be associated with anything by Rand. They are too busy saving Haiti and kissing up to each other for a project this serious. A project like Atlas is a direct affront to the Hollywood establishments.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587308/

I hope I’m wrong; dramatization of the story must surely lead to reaching a broader audience. I just don’t see much here right now. Nice link though.
Keep your sharpened steel sword, this wooden one will be all I need!
lamp_abi

Post by lamp_abi »

There will be a film version of this book ? I haven't read any Ayn Rand book but I have her books at home though. Is the book really good ?
musashi

Post by musashi »

lamp_abi wrote:Is the book really good ?
ummm... :roll: The corp name comes from the book... Good chance that there are a few people around here that like the book.

Actually, a number literary critics have panned the book over the years. On the other hand it has withstood that criticism and remained a top seller for more than 50 years. Ultimately you have to make your own choice. I liked it.
Riprion

Post by Riprion »

A lot of the criticism is based on the book being melodrama and stuffy literary types think melodrama is just for pulp novels. Also, many think the characters are caricatures and not realistic (so what it is about making a point). Although sometimes I feel that politicians are trying really hard to live up to those caricatures. She does beat you over the head at times with the soliloquies that can go on and on and on and on (I mean really, how many examples saying the same thing do you have to present in one speech?). I enjoyed it but I liked the ideas more than the literary art of it.
musashi

Post by musashi »

I think about the work as a philosophical fiction, rather than a simple stand alone novel. By that criteria I’d put Atlas Shrugged into a group of pieces like The Richest Man in Babylon, The Celestine Prophecy or The Goal. In that company I think Ayn Rand’s novels rate quite well.

She’s done a great service to me by placing her philosophy into the context of a story. If that is an easy proposition why didn’t Karl Marx do it?
Magron1

Post by Magron1 »

I'd be hoping for NO movie, EVER. Hollywood hasn't met a book in the last...oh..50 years it wasn't able to completely ruin.
redhotrebel

Post by redhotrebel »

Actually a new independent company has decided to make it. It will be produced in 3 parts. I'd post the link but I cba to hunt it down right now :P
"If you pay people not to work and tax them when they do, don't be surprised if you get unemployment." ~ Milton Friedman
TR Daniels

Post by TR Daniels »

Musashi,

I wouldn't trust those literary critics of Ayn Rand anymore than I would trust an economist from the Fed. What has the literary establishment produced in the last 50 or 100 years? "Of Mice and Men", any novel by James Joyce, or some other such garbage? This is the kind of serious literature that was force-fed to us in high school. If your story isn't depraved in some manner, then the critics aren't going to consider it "realistic" or "true art".

Before I started reading Ayn Rand's novels, I had no use for fiction - except the occasional movie. I literally never read a novel that I was not forced to read by some English teacher. Miss Rand's three novels had the best drawn characters, innovative plots, storyline tension, and intelligent philosophy rolled into one product. What she achieved artistically is equal to her non-fiction.

They are just great stories that I will remember as long as I live. If you paid me, I could not recall the plot of "Portrait of an Artist" by Joyce.

Sorry for the rant - EVE is still down. I have to keep busy somehow :)
Oleksandr

Post by Oleksandr »

musashi wrote:She’s done a great service to me by placing her philosophy into the context of a story. If that is an easy proposition why didn’t Karl Marx do it?
Because modern philosophy (including all philosophy since Kant) removes ideas from reality, i.e. to them ideas are impactical and "real" life has nothing to do with ideas (practice vs. theory). Therefore, to them any fiction that has philosophy in it is crap; or any philosophical work that quotes from fiction is crap.

It takes a rational philosophy to realize that ideas should be based on reality and be used to live in reality (basically, only Aristotle and Ayn Rand).
Ex-CEO of Taggart Transdimensional

"Objectivism is not only true, it is great! Why? Because of the volitional work a mind must have performed to reach for the first time so exalted a level of truth—and because of all the glorious effects such knowledge will have on man’s life, all the possibilities of action it opens up for the future." -- Leonard Peikoff
redhotrebel

Post by redhotrebel »

"If you pay people not to work and tax them when they do, don't be surprised if you get unemployment." ~ Milton Friedman
Oleksandr

Post by Oleksandr »

Nice. Looks like it will be the best that it can be in today's world. Very nice.
Ex-CEO of Taggart Transdimensional

"Objectivism is not only true, it is great! Why? Because of the volitional work a mind must have performed to reach for the first time so exalted a level of truth—and because of all the glorious effects such knowledge will have on man’s life, all the possibilities of action it opens up for the future." -- Leonard Peikoff
Sylvia Lafayette
Taggart Employee

Post by Sylvia Lafayette »

I'm squealing like a fangirl inside :D
redhotrebel

Post by redhotrebel »

Sylvia Laffayette wrote:I'm squealing like a fangirl inside :D
So... the usual for you then :P
Histracko

Post by Histracko »

Took them long enough! Hopefully it makes it through production.

I never go to a movie hoping for the book, because it is impossible for the two to be equal in terms of content. I like what the director said at the end of the clip about individuality, seems he is a good person for the job. I might even get my wife to watch it with me, as it is directed by a member of the One Tree Hill cast.... :roll:.
Sylvia Laffayette wrote:I'm squealing like a fangirl inside :D
I hate to admit it but I was smiling like an idiot the whole time I was watching this clip, so I'm right there with you.
-- Histracko
RoarkRangor

Post by RoarkRangor »

I think the makers of 'the social network' did a good job of creating a movie that celebrates individuality, creativity, hard work and entrepreneurship. If Atlas Shrugged ever becomes a movie I hope its like this.
Sir Fury

Post by Sir Fury »

I like Paul Johansson's idea of not showing the face of John Galt. It can be mightily difficult to portray an ideal man. Kind of reminds me (the part of not showing the face) of Master Chief John-117 in Halo.

I was quite skeptical for an atleast decent adaptation, but the clip gives some hope.
"Atleast I've chicken." - Leeroy Jenkins
Petyr Baelich

Post by Petyr Baelich »

Gotta say, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the director & cast. :(
Lars Takarin

Post by Lars Takarin »

I always pictured Dagny as a redhead... I can't remember if the book ever described her like that, but - that's what popped into my head.
Petyr Baelich

Post by Petyr Baelich »

Lars Takarin wrote:I always pictured Dagny as a redhead... I can't remember if the book ever described her like that, but - that's what popped into my head.
Pretty sure she was described as a blonde by Rand; not that hair color is central to her character, (I always thought of her as a brunette ;p).
Hideo

Post by Hideo »

I know there was alot of issues with this movie (not really in making but more like obstacles in their way). There was supposed to be a 8 hour mini series but that was shut down by NBC CEO at some point. Then there was the issue that the movie rights were about to expire so they had to quickly do something before they lost them. I heard that some entrepreneur used some of his own money to fund the film in the end, so the budget of the movie wasn't too huge (considering today's standards), something 5-10 million or so.
Liberty Eternal

Post by Liberty Eternal »

I thought the movie trailer looked excellent - however, sadly it does not appear to be being released in the UK tomorrow.

I hope you guys that are planning to see it really enjoy it, and if anyone knows how I can see the film ASAP in the UK please post up or evemail me :D
musashi

Been a long time since I rock and rolled

Post by musashi »

Hello TTI !

I've been out of corp for quite awhile now, and inactive in game. I've been working on building up my RL assets. I hope all is well and profitable for everyone.

Saw the movie Saturday night. I never thought it would come to completion, and I was glad to see it. It is a big story and I think they made the right choice to break it into parts rather than abridge. Kind bummed that Francisco’s speech ended up on the cutting room floor. But maybe they plan on putting it in the sequel. My memory of the story sequence might be off, does it come later in the book?
Anyhow glad to see the movie. I hope the launch stimulates more like-minded Eve players to search out TTI.