NYT Review: Ayn Rand’s ‘Ideal’ Presents a Protagonist Familiar in Her Superiority

TTI is known for its intellectuals. This is a place for thinkers to gather and exchange quotes, thoughts, or other topics that might not appeal to the average gamer.
Raaz Satik
Taggart Director

NYT Review: Ayn Rand’s ‘Ideal’ Presents a Protagonist Familiar in Her Superiority

Post by Raaz Satik »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/11/books ... ority.html

The movie-star heroine of Ayn Rand’s “Ideal” is a legendary, enigmatic beauty named Kay Gonda, paid a fortune by Hollywood for her work and worshiped by the faceless multitudes. Her press agent writes: “Kay Gonda does not cook her own meals or knit her own underwear. She does not play golf, adopt babies, or endow hospitals for homeless horses. She is not kind to her dear old mother — she has no dear old mother. She is not just like you and me. She never was like you and me. She’s like nothing you rotters ever dreamt of.

more...
Alessandra Necova

Re: NYT Review: Ayn Rand’s ‘Ideal’ Presents a Protagonist Familiar in Her Superiority

Post by Alessandra Necova »

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth clicking on a link to NY Times. Then again, with that review, coming from where its coming from, it is a great incentive to buy the book.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Shoftiel

Re: NYT Review: Ayn Rand’s ‘Ideal’ Presents a Protagonist Familiar in Her Superiority

Post by Shoftiel »

I couldn't type this as first as after reading the article I had to buy a new keyboard. The previous one suffered catastrophic damage when my forhead repeatedly applied "wrecking shots: between the "t" and h" keys.

The thing I find interesting is that if that is the vision of what they see us as, I wonder what they would do if they knew exactly how we felt about NYT reporters. :D
Raaz Satik
Taggart Director

Post by Raaz Satik »

If you both felt that bad about the article itself, I can't imagine what you would have thought if you read any of the comments... well actually you would have laughed... can't imagine what you would have thought if you read any of the comments and took them seriously maybe more accurate.