Recall Legislation

TTI is known for its intellectuals. This is a place for thinkers to gather and exchange quotes, thoughts, or other topics that might not appeal to the average gamer.
Dan Conia
Taggart CEO
 Taggart Transdimensional
 Virtue of Selfishness

Recall Legislation

Post by Dan Conia »

TAGGARTS!

I am an MPP candidate for the Freedom Party of Ontario. http://www.douglasthom.com http://www.freedomparty.on.ca

A constituent asked my opinion on Recall Legislation. This is the idea that voters in their riding can petition to have their elected official tossed from office. This is only available in British Columbia right now in Canada. It sounds like impeachment.

I'm just wondering if, from an Objectivist point of view, whether there is a problem with this concept. It sounds fine to me.
Shoftiel

Re: Recall Legislation

Post by Shoftiel »

I'm sorry I missed this until after the election. How'd you do?

The only upside to having "un-recallable" politicians is the idea that they could do what would be considered unpopular, but the best thing for the people.

I for one think that's a load of bollocks. Having a yank-able chain on a politicians balls (including chesticles for the female politicians to be totally PC here) would encourage them to actually not be...well a senator or a congressman in the US; only actually caring during election years. Another person I know recommended that having hunting tags for politicians would serve the same purpose. I for one think that the ability to fire elected officials would probably more humane, since politician meat is likely unflavorful, and would go to waste. Though we could solve the world hunger problem one senator at a time.

I think I may have gone too far....
Dan Conia
Taggart CEO
 Taggart Transdimensional
 Virtue of Selfishness

Post by Dan Conia »

"Like"

Election went poorly for me, and for a completely unexpected reason. Turns out two guys registered as "None of the above". So one guy was with the "None Of The Above Party", and the other guy actually legally changed his name to "Znoneofthe, Above". They stole a bunch of the votes with this trick.
Alessandra Necova

Post by Alessandra Necova »

Wow, seriously? Then again, its politics, I should hardly be surprised.

As far as being recall-able, I'm a fan of it from the standpoint that if an official says one thing, then gets into office and radically changes their views, they can be replaced immediately without waiting 2,4 6, or more years.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.